1. A rectangular (3” by 4” or 80mm by 100mm) Sorinex® Saxon Bar must be used, along with
full-sized plates (discs) that are the standard IWF/IPF diameter (450 mm) for
records to be recognized
2. The plates must either be calibrated or have been weighed on a proven scale for
records to be recognized.
3. Time starts when the Bar is loaded; the athletes have 60 seconds to begin the lift.
4. No grip aids other than chalk are allowed. Ordinary chalk (magnesium carbonate) may
be used on the lifter’s hands, but nothing else is permitted (tacky, for example, is
5. The Sorinex® Saxon Bar must be gripped with the knuckles on both hands facing forward
(away from the body) with a double overhand grip.
6. The athlete must complete the lift with knees locked and the shoulders back,
awaiting the referee’s down signal before returning the Bar to the platform while
maintaining a grip on or in contact with the Bar. The referee then indicates whether
the lift was passed or not.
7. IPF powerlifting rules define the key guidelines: resting the Bar on the thighs or
any downward movement will disqualify the lift, as would failure to await the down
signal or dropping the bar. A sumo style is permitted and the feet may move after
the lifter has received the down signal.
8. There shall be a chief referee and an official timekeeper.