- Genuine GENIE GRIPS must be used along with a full-sized bar (either 20kg or
- The plates must either be calibrated or have been weighed on a proven scale.
- No grip aids other than chalk are allowed. Ordinary chalk (magnesium carbonate) may
be used on the lifter’s hands, but nothing else is permitted (tacky and wrist wraps,
for example, are specifically disallowed).
- The GENIE GRIPS must be gripped with the knuckles on both hands facing
forward (away from the body) with a double overhand grip.
- Thumbless and hook grips are prohibited.
- The athlete must complete the lift with knees locked, the shoulders back, and the
head up, awaiting the referee’s down signal. The barbell must be lowered to the
platform while maintaining a grip on or contact with the barbell. The referee(s) then
indicates whether the lift was passed or not.
- Resting the barbell on the thighs or any downward movement will disqualify the lift,
as would failure to await the down signal or dropping the bar.
- A sumo style is permitted and the feet may move after the lifter has received the
- Ordinary chalk (magnesium carbonate) may be used on the lifter’s hand, but
nothing else is permitted (tacky and wrist wraps, for example, are specifically
- There shall be a chief referee and an official timekeeper.