Grinder Gym provides programs and services in the areas of fitness and wellness, strength and conditioning, sports nutrition, strength sport competition, event management, and online coaching & programming. The Grinder Gym facility has an average of 150 users per day, including members, clients, faculty/staff, and daily drop ins. Grinder Gym employees on average of 15 staff/independent contractors.
The Strength and Conditioning Internship program aims to provide aspiring interns a comprehensive education in the field
of strength & conditioning. Interns will have the opportunity to be exposed to many aspects of sports science and athletic development while being exposed to a wide variety of fitness clients with goals in athletic performance, fat loss body transformation, and muscle building.
- Pursuing a degree in Exercise Science, Wellness Health Promotion, or related health field
- Experience and interest in the fitness/wellness field
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including ability to deliver presentations
- Must possess good organizational skills and be efficient in multitasking
- Customer-service oriented and an ability to understand or quickly grasp, customer priorities and terminology
- Ability to work independently and in a group setting
- Ability to work in a dynamic, changing, and diverse environment
- Previous Strength & Conditioning experience preferred but not required
- Current health insurance coverage is required
- Must be a full or part-time student in good academic standing
- Candidates must have current CPR/AED certification
- Candidates must hold, or currently be pursuing, the NSCA CSCS® certification.
- Recent medical examination
- Hepatitis B Vaccination
- First Aid & CPR Certified
- Personal Liability Insurance
Essential Duties/Job Responsibilities
- Be punctual and conduct yourself in a professional manner.
- Demonstrate behaviors consistent with the Grinder Gym mission, culture and values in all interactions with clients, coworkers and the general public.
- Take pride in all work performed.
- Provide a positive and safe training environment and experience for all members.
- Adhere to all company policies, procedures and safety standards.
- Shadow and observe Strength and Conditioning Coaches during training and testing.
- Participate in strength and conditioning testing and training sessions.
- Attend Coaches meetings and Intern training sessions.
- Assist the Coaching Staff with cleaning and maintaining the facility and equipment.
- Provide support with updating and maintaining athlete training programs.
- Complete all assignments in a timely and efficient manner.
- Adhere to dress code and behavior requirements.
- Assist with video filming of training sessions.
- Seek regular client feedback.
- Follow up on all communications from clients.
- Perform other responsibilities as agreed upon by the Internship Supervisor.
- This is an unpaid internship. To reach the required number of hours, gain experience, and insure proper supervision for interns, the internship typically provides 10 to 40 hours per week.
- This internship can be offered over one or two semesters as needed to complete the internship requirements as determined by the participants university.
Interested and qualified individuals should send an application letter, resume including a minimum of three references (may be work or academic) to:
1013 Morena Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92110
Grinder Gym is a for profit business under the control of Dave DePew Enterprises, Inc. (a privately held California Corporation).
Email application materials must be in word format. Interviews will be conducted of qualified applicants prior to offering the internship position.
Deadline: For fall 2017- June 15, 2017 for winter 2017/2018- November 15, 2017. All applications will be reviewed as received.
Questions should be directed to Dave DePew, Internship Supervisor by email at email@example.com.