Are you looking for a Sports Nutrition Internship? A Sports Nutrition Internship is the best way to bridge the gap between the academic education and landing a great job. A Sports Nutrition Internship can help you develop your Sports Nutrition experience by learning from professional Licensed Sports Nutritionist. On completion of your internship, you’ll have the experience to take on nutrition clients.
Grinder Gym provides programs and services in the areas of fitness and wellness, strength and conditioning, sports nutrition, strength sport competition, event management, and online coaching & programming. The Grinder Gym facility has an average of 150 users per day, including members, clients, faculty/staff, and daily drop ins. Grinder Gym employees on average of 15 staff/independent contractors.
The purpose of the Sports Nutrition Intern position is to gain valuable office, communications, and assist members and non-members of Grinder Gym with Sports Nutrition education and support for their fitness or strength & conditioning programs. Sports Nutrition Interns will create community initiatives, outreach materials, and awareness efforts to improve the health and quality of life of the Grinder Gym community. Interns will promote the mission of Grinder Gym in action and spirit.
This internship is going to be heavily focused on Sports Nutrition, but obviously there will be cross over into other areas of Fitness.
- Pursuing a degree in Sports Nutrition, Exercise Science, Wellness Health Promotion, or related health field
- Experience and interest in sports nutrition/ fitness/wellness field
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including ability to deliver presentations
- Must possess good organizational skills and be efficient in multitasking
- Ability to work independently and in a group setting
- Ability to work in a dynamic, changing, and diverse environment
- Current health insurance coverage is required
- Must be a full or part-time student in good academic standing
- Recent medical examination
- Hepatitis B Vaccination
Essential Duties/Job Responsibilities
- Provide nutrition/ fitness/wellness coaching for members and non-member patrons of Grinder Gym as needed.
- Learning the process of a Grinder Gym Nutritional Needs Analysis for athletes and exercising individuals.
- Training to becoming proficient in food diary analysis and feedback.
- Training in how to correctly carry out skinfold caliper testing based on the NASN guideline.
- Help in working towards Sports Nutrition competencies and scope of practice outlined by the NASN.
- Initially shadowing talks, workshops and lectures with a view to eventually preparing materials and performing presentations.
- Assist in collecting and reviewing nutrition logs from fitness program participates and providing the necessary feedback.
- Perform nutrition/fitness evaluations for nutrition/fitness program participants and Sports Nutrition clients.
- Summarize and interpret nutrition assessment/fitness test data and prescribe both individualized meal plans and an exercise programs (cardiovascular and strength) for healthy individuals.
- Successfully complete the Grinder Gym staff training program.
- Work in Grinder Gym as needed.
- Job shadow a Grinder Gym Sports Nutritionist.
- Develop and/or implement at least one specialized training program at Grinder Gym for members related to fitness and wellness.
- Job shadow a Grinder Gym Group Personal Trainer.
- Job shadow a Grinder Gym Exercise Instructor.
- Demonstrate ability to teach large and small group exercise class format through team teaching, subbing, or placement on the group exercise teaching schedule.
- Prepare and deliver a minimum of one nutrition/health/wellness educational program to members and/or non-members of Grinder Gym.
- Assisting in delivery of nutrition services to members and non-members of Grinder Gym.
- Contribute to the marketing of all fitness and wellness programs and services through website promotions, newsletter articles, table events, social media, etc.
- Conducting research reviews on nutrition related topics.
- Writing nutrition content for GrinderGym.com.
- Assist in the coordination of special events and programming related to health and wellness sponsored or cosponsored by Grinder Gym.
- Instruct special fitness programs as needed.
- Implement departmental emergency procedures as necessary.
- Assist fitness/wellness staff with general day-to-day duties of the office.
- Participate in group exercise class format a minimum of two times per week, conduct class and instructor evaluations.
- Observe health and wellness educational sessions provided by Grinder Gym and
contribute to the programs as necessary.
- Attend all regularly scheduled office hours and meetings.
- Experience working with professional and amateur athletes.
- Gain the tools an guidance on becoming a self employed nutrition consultant.
- Perform other responsibilities as agreed upon by the Internship Supervisor.
- Directly report to the Fitness Coordinator each day unless told otherwise by the Internship Supervisor.
- Assist in additional daily responsibility of the Fitness Coordinator in the area of Fitness and Wellness.
- This is an unpaid internship. To reach the required number of hours, gain experience, and insure proper supervision for interns, the internship typically provides 10 to 40 hours per week.
- This internship can be offered over one or two semesters as needed to complete the internship requirements as determined by the participants university.
Interested and qualified individuals should send an application letter, resume including a minimum of three references (may be work or academic) to:
1013 Morena Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92110
Grinder Gym is a for profit business under the control of Dave DePew Enterprises, Inc. (a privately held California Corporation).
Email application materials must be in word format. Interviews will be conducted of qualified applicants prior to offering the internship position.
Deadline: For fall 2017- June 15, 2017 for winter 2017/2018- November 15, 2017. All applications will be reviewed as received.
Questions should be directed to Dave DePew, Internship Supervisor by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.