Grinder Gym provides programs and services in the areas of fitness and wellness, strength and conditioning, sports nutrition, strength sport competition, event management, and online coaching & programming. The Grinder Gym facility has an average of 150 users per day, including members, clients, faculty/staff, and daily drop ins. Grinder Gym employees on average of 15 staff/independent contractors.
The purpose of the Fitness Instructor Intern position is to assist with the general operation and implementation of health, wellness, and fitness programs, events, and services provided by Grinder Gym. Interns will promote the mission of Grinder Gym in action and spirit.
- Pursuing a degree in Exercise Science, Wellness Health Promotion, or related health field
- Experience and interest in the fitness/wellness field
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including ability to deliver presentations
- Must possess good organizational skills and be efficient in multitasking
- Ability to work independently and in a group setting
- Ability to work in a dynamic, changing, and diverse environment
- Current health insurance coverage is required
- Must be a full or part-time student in good academic standing
- Recent medical examination
- Hepatitis B Vaccination
Essential Duties/Job Responsibilities
- Provide mentorship and fitness/wellness coaching for members and non-member patrons of Grinder Gym as needed.
- Assist in compiling participation data and the completion of necessary reports.
- Perform fitness evaluations for fitness program participants and personal training clients.
- Summarize and interpret fitness test data and prescribe cardiovascular and strength exercise programs for healthy individuals.
- Job shadow a Grinder Gym Personal Trainer.
- Successfully complete the Grinder Gym staff training program.
- Work in Grinder Gym as needed.
- Develop and/or implement at least one specialized training program at Grinder Gym for members related to fitness and wellness.
- Job shadow a Grinder Gym Group Exercise Instructor.
- Demonstrate ability to teach group exercise class format through team teaching, subbing, or placement on the group exercise teaching schedule.
- Prepare and deliver a minimum of one health/wellness educational program to members and/or non-members of Grinder Gym.
- Contribute to the marketing of all fitness and wellness programs and services through website promotions, newsletter articles, table events, social media, etc.
- Assist in the coordination of special events and programming related to health and wellness sponsored or cosponsored by Grinder Gym.
- Instruct special fitness programs as needed.
- Implement departmental emergency procedures as necessary.
- Assist fitness/wellness staff with general day-to-day duties of the office.
- Participate in group exercise class format a minimum of two times per week, conduct class and instructor evaluations.
- Observe health and wellness educational sessions provided by Grinder Gym and
contribute to the programs as necessary.
- Attend all regularly scheduled office hours and meetings.
- Perform other responsibilities as agreed upon by the Internship Supervisor.
- Directly report to the Fitness Coordinator each day unless told otherwise by the Internship Supervisor.
- Assist in additional daily responsibility of the Fitness Coordinator in the area of Fitness and Wellness.
- This is an unpaid internship. To reach the required number of hours, gain experience, and insure proper supervision for interns, the internship typically provides 10 to 40 hours per week.
- This internship can be offered over one or two semesters as needed to complete the internship requirements as determined by the participants university.
Interested and qualified individuals should send an application letter, resume including a minimum of three references (may be work or academic) to:
1013 Morena Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92110
Grinder Gym is a for profit business under the control of Dave DePew Enterprises, Inc. (a privately held California Corporation).
Email application materials must be in word format. Interviews will be conducted of qualified applicants prior to offering the internship position.
Questions should be directed to Dave DePew, Internship Supervisor by email at email@example.com.