Grinder Gym provides programs and services in the areas of fitness and wellness, strength and conditioning, sports nutrition, strength sport competition, event management, and online coaching & programming. The Grinder Gym facility has an average of 150 users per day, including members, clients, faculty/staff, and daily drop ins. Grinder Gym employees on average of 15 staff/independent contractors.
The Personal Trainer Internship program is designed to allow recent graduates or those pursuing a degree the opportunity to observe and facilitate the practical skills they will need to work successfully with clients in their future. Personal training interns shadow and learn from industry experts and leaders in our facility. Interns are taught by and work side-by-side with industry experts to gain hands-on experience and develop their health and fitness knowledge.
- Pursuing a degree in Exercise Science, Wellness Health Promotion, or related health field
- Experience and interest in the fitness/wellness field
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including ability to deliver presentations
- Must possess good organizational skills and be efficient in multitasking
- Customer-service oriented and an ability to understand or quickly grasp, customer priorities and terminology
- Ability to work independently and in a group setting
- Ability to work in a dynamic, changing, and diverse environment
- Previous Personal Training experience preferred but not required
- Current health insurance coverage is required
- Must be a full or part-time student in good academic standing
- Recent medical examination
- Hepatitis B Vaccination
- First Aid & CPR Certified
- Personal Liability Insurance
Essential Duties/Job Responsibilities
- Be punctual and conduct yourself in a professional manner.
- Demonstrate behaviors consistent with the Grinder Gym mission, culture and values in all interactions with clients, coworkers and the general public.
- Take pride in all work performed.
- Adhere to all company policies, procedures and safety standards.
- Provide a positive and safe training environment and experience for all members.
- Shadow and observe Personal Trainers during training and testing.
- Participate in training sessions.
- Attend staff meetings and intern training sessions.
- Assist the staff with cleaning and maintaining the facility and equipment.
- Provide support with updating and maintaining client training programs.
- Complete all assignments in a timely and efficient manner.
- Adhere to dress code and behavior requirements.
- Assist with all aspects of training sessions.
- Seek regular client feedback.
- Follow up on all communications from clients.
- Perform other responsibilities as agreed upon by the Internship Supervisor.
- Directly report to the Fitness Coordinator each day unless told otherwise by the Internship Supervisor.
- Assist in additional daily responsibility of the Fitness Coordinator in the area of Fitness and Wellness.
- This is an unpaid internship. To reach the required number of hours, gain experience, and insure proper supervision for interns, the internship typically provides 10 to 40 hours per week.
- This internship can be offered over one or two semesters as needed to complete the internship requirements as determined by the participants university.
Interested and qualified individuals should send an application letter, resume including a minimum of three references (may be work or academic) to:
1013 Morena Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92110
Grinder Gym is a for profit business under the control of Dave DePew Enterprises, Inc. (a privately held California Corporation).
Email application materials must be in word format. Interviews will be conducted of qualified applicants prior to offering the internship position.
Questions should be directed to Dave DePew, Internship Supervisor by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.